Main menu

Pages

Members of the Greenbrier Historical Society were recognized by WV's Arts, Culture and History Department.

Lewisburg (WVDN) – The Greenbrier Historical Society honored Dr. Kim Arbogast McBride and Dr. W. Steven McBride with the Betty Woods “Snookie” Nutting Award, given to individuals who embody the spirit and dedication to making a difference in their communities. We announced that we won the award. From the West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History.

Margaret C. Hambrick was honored with an individual award for dedication to the preservation of individual resources and for those who have contributed to the preservation of historical resources.

Both McBride and Hambrick are members of the Board of Directors of the Greenbrier Historical Society, and McBride is the editor of the journal of the Greenbrier Historical Society.

Curator Randall Reed Smith and State Historic Preservation Lieutenant Susan Pearce presented the award at an awards ceremony at Independence Hall in Wheeling on Sunday, October 9.

McBrides has led several archaeological excavations over the past 40 years, including early forts in West Virginia and Kentucky.

It focuses on frontier fortifications from the French and Indian War to the American Revolutionary War. Locally, it was excavated at Fort Arbuckle in Greenbrier County, Fort Cook in Monroe County, Fort Jarrett in Monroe County, and Fort Warwick in Pocahontas County.

Their archaeological services were integral to the restoration of the Blue Sulfur Springs Pavilion.

Now retired and living in Lewisburg, he founded Greenbrier Valley Archaeology, Inc. to promote frontier settlement research and education. Both are very active at the Greenbrier Historical Society.

“We share the credit of a successful archaeological project with the many supporting agencies and landowners who protect these sites,” McBride said. I wouldn’t have been able to sustain it without the support of

Hambrick was able to pursue his interest in history after retiring in 2001.

With her husband David, she restored a circa 1795 stone farmhouse built by her great-great-great-great-grandfather.

In Alderson, he helped restore the historic 1896 C&O Depot (now a museum and music venue) and the Gulf Gas Station (now the Fruits of Laver Cafe).

As a trustee, president and now secretary of the Greenbrier Historical Society, she has worked on projects for the North House, 1799 Barracks and the Blue Sulfur Springs Pavilion.

The restoration of the Blue Sulfur Springs Pavilion, owned by the Greenbrier Historical Society and managed by the Friends of the Blue Commission, is progressing from a critically endangered structure to near-perfect restoration.

Hambrick said: Thank you for all the support we have received and all the friends we have made. ”

The support of the West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History and curator Reed Smith was integral to all projects recognized through the award.

WV Art, Culture and History curator Randall Reed Smith (left to right) enjoys a moment with Margaret Hambrick. Margaret Hambrick won the Individual Award.
WV Art, Culture and History Curator Randall Reid-Smith (left) explains to Dr. Kim McBride and Dr. Steven McBride what the different parts of the Betty Woods “Snookie” Nutting Award mean.

Commentaires